Patient and Family Engagement is the collaboration of patients, families, caregivers, and health professionals working in an active partnership to improve health and healthcare. There are many benefits to Patient and Family Engagement (P&FE) including, but not limited to:
- Better health outcomes
- Improved quality and patient safety
- Increased staff satisfaction and reduced turnover
- Reduced health care costs
The Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) requires all ESRD Networks to conduct yearly Patient and Family Engagement Activities (P&FE).
The CMS ESRD Network contract requires these activities to provide patient education through:
- Direct patient education: materials provided directly from the Network to patients.
- Facility driven patient education: educational projects and activities facilities lead with assistance from the Networks.
Each Network develops their own educational campaigns and quality improvement topics to address specific patient educational needs identified by the P&FE LAN. The LANs also assist in the development of the Written Education and Marketing Plans, which guides the implementation of the P&FE activities.